Friday, May 22, 2009

Synchro Shifters



Probably the second most ridiculous component on the bike. Known for their finickiness and lack of desired functionality, these beauties were Campy's attempt to do index shifting in the late-80's to early 90's. These are second generation synchro shifters (but after they did away with the designation between 1st and 2nd gen. why do I know this?). Interestingly enough, these are for 8-speed, which is far less than ideal with freewheel type hubs since it puts more stress on the axle than desired. I have no clue what kind of magic i'm going to have work to get them functioning as desired, but I will probably have the most success just replacing the cog for 8 speed indexing with a 6 or 7 speed version.


If nothing else, they'll work in friction mode and I can just make a clicking noise whenever I shift. ::click::click::click:: Oh, there's the gear I wanted....

No comments:

Post a Comment